Hardware and Networks
Migrating UniFi APs to another controller
You can easily adopt your access points to a new controller. Follow these steps to automatically migrate.
- The new controller must be online and accessible via the internet
- You must be on the latest controller version
- The APs you wish to migrate must be connected (online)
Follow the steps very carefully. The basic steps are:
- Export a backup file from the controller (UNF file)
- Import that file onto the new controller
- Initiate the migration from the old controller
- Check they have correctly provisioned on the new controller
- Remove device footprints from the old controller (“Forget” the APs)
1. Click settings
2. Scroll to the bottom and choose EXPORT SITE
3. Click DOWNLOAD BACKUP FILE
4. On the destination controller, choose IMPORT SITE
5. Choose a site name
6. Click CHOOSE FILE and select file you downloaded from the old controller
This will import all settings, including the Access Points. However at this stage they will show disconnected, since we have not migrated them yet.
We are now ready to initiate the migration.
7. On the old controller Click Confirm
8. Enter the full URL of your new controller
If you have ever manually adopted APs using SSH, you will recognise the /inform command at the end.
Be sure to enter 8080, not the controller interface port which is on 8443
9. Click MIGRATE DEVICES
IMPORTANT: Wait for the APs to migrate fully to the new server. DO NOT click Forget Devices until you can see them correctly provisioned on the new controller.